August 29, 2011

I guess I never came right out and said it all those posts where I wrote about going through a hard time and desperately needing relief.

Its hard to tell people you have been diagnosed with ADD. It shouldnt feel embarasing... its just a neurochemical deficite, but I feel like there is still a stigma. What most people dont know is that ADD in women tends to look much different than the general societal idea of ADD, e.g. hyperactivity. In fact women with ADD often feel foggy, sluggish, and suffer from hypoactivity.

Once I got diagnosed I started a regiment of aderall, and it saved my life. I was so run down and foggy, needing to take an 3 hour nap right around 2 or 3pm and getting a second wind in the evening. Aderall helped me feel awake and with it, and allowed me to stay awake all day so that I could sleep at night. You can imagine my panic when my P.A. told me she no longer felt comfortable giving me Aderall after episodes of tachycardia and an irregular heart beat.

I will admit I am not wanting to give up my pharmaceutical crutch even though I have suspected for some time that my ADD symptoms are actually symptoms of something else.  The severity of my issues increased exponentially after a couple of years of substantial stress. A naturopath suggested that maybe my issue was Adrenal Fatigue...then I came across this list of symptoms

* Morning fatigue. You don’t really seem to wake up until 10 a.m., even if you’ve been awake since 7 a.m.
* Afternoon “low” (feelings of sleepiness or clouded thinking) from 2 to 4 p.m.
* A burst of energy at 6 p.m. when you finally feel better from your afternoon lull
* Sleepiness around 9p.m. to 10 p.m. However, you resist going to sleep
* A “second wind” at 11 p.m. that lasts until about 1 a.m., when you finally do go to sleep
* Cravings for foods high in salt and fats
* Chronic low blood pressure
* Sensitivity to cold and feeling chilled
* Increased PMS or menopausal symptoms
* Mild depression
* Mood swings
* Mental fog
* Memory problems
* Lack of energy and feeling rundown
* A decreased ability to handle stress
* A decreased ability to recover from illness
* Muscular weakness
* Increased food allergies
* Lightheadedness when getting up from a sitting or lying down position
* Decreased sex drive
* Frequent sighing
* Inability to handle foods high in potassium or carbohydrates unless they’re combined with fats and protein
* You crave sugar

I can say yes to every one of these symptoms.  Now I have to get a plan together to change my lifestyle and find the right supplements to help my body do what it is supposed to do.  My first order of business is to let go of the caffeine...I dont want to but I gotta.  I will share more of this journey as it evolves.

signature

1 comments:

Kelly said...

I am here to help in any way I can! I want you to feel your best all the time...not just some of the time.
xoxoxoxoxox