July 28, 2011

this one is for suzanne

Its safe to say that I have gotten to the point where I don't want my house to look like it came out of a catalog, and I don't want it to be all matchy matchy. I want my pieces to mean something to me. My friend Suzanne echoed the same sentiment the other day as she told me about her decor plans. Suzanne and I have been friends for about 8 years and we have seen each other grow in every possible way...and now its time to ditch the decor of our 20's and embrace something more personal and eclectic.

Suzanne has commissioned a very special dining room table that has special meaning to her because of the artist, materials, and location where it will be hand made. I am so excited for her! In fact it reminded me to go home and remind my dad to set aside some pieces of wood that has been in the family for a table for me...something I had requested of him a couple of years ago.

ANYWAY...now comes the decision for chairs, and like me she cant walk into pottery barn and get excited anymore. Do you blame us? Overpriced, unoriginal, and meaningless.

So here were my initial ideas for her

morenavalchairs

emeco

more emeco

Emeco Naval Chairs...Why do I love these? Let me count the ways...

Well for starters they have this great balance between modern, country, traditional, vintage. They pretty much go with ANY decor so you can guarantee that these are an investment piece that will always have a place in your home.

They are multipurpose. Some chairs just belong in the dining room, some just belong at a desk, but these chairs can go ANYWHERE in the house.

Lastly Suzanne has sentimental ties to the Navy, so the fact that they are Naval chairs, made my little heart sing.

My next thought was an eclectic mix of painted chairs

painted chairs

This is where we use our talent and creativity to trim from the decorating budget in order to allocate money elsewhere, like a fab lighting piece ;)

Craigslist, garage sales, and even thrift stores like the goodwill are a treasure trove of old furniture...shoot I found several old chairs (unclaimed) up in the attic of the old farmhouse and grabbed a couple to use in my wee house...

Additionally it is a great way to incorporate and solidify the color pallet you have chosen by repeating them in your dining chairs.

Another favorite chair of mine is the Tolex chair. Another classic that is highly versatile.

desiretoinspiretolex

Along the same lines of the Tolex are vintage metal chairs, and metal folding cafe chairs.

diningdesignsponge

vintage bistro folding from houzz

Lastly, there is nothing wrong with mixing high end pieces with low end pieces... like chairs from Ikea!

coastallivingpic





signature

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Hey! Well, first off, thanks for dedicating your creative genius to me today. I am enjoying the spread and googled both the Navy Chair and the Tollex. I think they are super ideas. I found a nice 1934 Tollex at Sundance for not too bad of a price (I am sadly having to realize that dining room chairs cost more than the table.....) I even read reviews and multiple people said both that they are perfect with their farmhouse table and perfect with kids. So, that's right up my alley. Thanks Jana. This was fun. You have now led me to both the table and the chairs....what Jana failed to mention is that she serendipitously led me to my table ....through her love of design in Portland, Or she led me to a site which led me to my own backyard way out here in Vermont. How cool is that?

Jana said...

Well for starters your compliments are so much appreciated! And can I say that I love that you used the word serendipitously :) I enjoyed doing it, and I am glad it helped spark some ideas. I can't wait to see the final spread!