January 6, 2011

Amazing {Budget} Kitchen Renovations

I love blogs because they save me endless amounts of money on design magazines. Reading blogs every morning is almost equivalent to opening the paper. Coffee in hand I sit down and prepare to take in all the new happenings in the blogosphere.

My most favorite posts are those that show incredible before and afters, especially those that are done on a budget. I simply cannot wait until Derrick and I purchase a home and can put all these wonderful, and budget savvy ideas to use. Below are some of the most inspiring re-do's that I have personally saved in my decor file for future reference.

This first one is from The Lettered Cottage. Her entire home is a trove of redo inspiration. It is candy to be devoured in one sitting! What I like about her style is how she infuses texture and interest into her rooms by using paint, simple architectural elements, and decor items.




Nothing But Bonfires is a new blog I just discovered and it is already one of my favorites, and when I saw this fab kitchen renovation it sealed the deal for me. I go to her blog often just to see what is going on. Just like the previous kitchen, this one shows how a little paint and hardware can go a long way.








I think this kitchen is closest to what I envision my own kitchen looking like. Stylish, cozy, simple, a little modern but still warm. I think the mixture of the modern hardware and the butcher block island make it very versatile. Hop on over to House*Tweaking and check out what she has done to the rest of her place. It's incredible!






This one gets the biggest award in my book. To have the vision and guts to look at this kitchen and even buy this house... I mean I thought I had a good eye for potential but Darby at Fly Through Our Window clearly knew what she was doing when she took on this project. The afters are incredible, and once again they saved money by painting the existing cabinets and using new hardware to dress them up. It certainly makes it more affordable to splurge on fab counter tops and new lighting.




Grace Infusion took her builders spec kitchen from just ordinary to light and bright with some paint, a new back splash, and some lighting underneath the cabinets. It looks AWESOME!




Made By Girl is another blog that I go to for inspiration, and since her decor style is not exactly the same as mine I think it keeps me diverse. I really appreciate how she has taken a really ordinary home and infused sophistication and glamour. She also painted her cabinets and added new hardware. Her marble back splash and hanging pendent lights give it that polish and sophistication that her decor always posseses while remaining down to earth and seemingly attainable for the regular gal.





This kitchen has no before, but it is new and dear to me because it is the inspiration photo I used when I set out to pretty up our little apartment. It is light, bright, colorful, and completely achievable with some paint, and personal touches. Jen has made her house cozy and welcoming and has put her stamp on every corner. Please do yourself the favor of checking out her entire home tour, there is an idea to be found for every room in the house.




And this is just a small offering of what is out there in terms of inspiration. Whenever I find a reno/decor that particularly resonates with me I save the pictures in an inspiration file I have on my desktop and then add the blog to my blogroll.

If you have time it is worth it to visit every one of the blogs mentioned because what I have shown here is just a smattering...almost all of these blogs have so much more to offer.

4 comments:

suzanne said...

I think you need to moonlight as a decorator...you definitely have the passion! One day, when I need help designing a kitchen guess what? You're hired!...again, I guess....we can do it again....this time hopefully with more cash-ola and maybe I should hire painters (ps. so glad I don't have to look at those shoddy borders anymore ala me, I wonder if the new owners have noticed. I chuckle to think of it)

Jana said...

I think I left a couple of shoddy borders in that house too! Ha ha the paint queens! That's us!

Annie said...

They are all so so so pretty...my favorite ( i think) is the last one... love the colors!

Jana said...

Thanks Annie! Just keeping myself inspired for when I can do my own place :)