June 8, 2009

A mother always knows.....

Call it intuition, but I have had the feeling for a little while that my little Kellan just wasn't coming along properly in his speech development. Everyone told me he was "fine" and that I shouldn't worry, but what mother doesn't worry? We took him to the pediatrician today and he confirmed that Kellan would need speech therapy, and that....and this one was a blow.....he should be screened for autism as a precaution. As the appointment went on the Dr indicated that he was not really concerned about him having autism, but that the questionnaire we answered posed a few red flags, like the fact that he does not respond to his own name, and that at 2 he does not communicate his needs to us beyond 1 word commands. Everyone has always commented about how he is a little bit "in his own world." He has been coming out of his shell recently, and the Dr reassured me (after he saw tears welling up in my eyes) that many children receive a diagnosis that with treatment goes away, even autism...and then repeated that he was not as concerned that Kellan had autism but wanted to get him the necessary intervention.

Obviously I am overwhelmed with emotions. Part of me is relieved, and I keep retelling myself in my own head that I knew it...I knew it...something wasn't right, but now that I know I am concerned and worried....and pretty much just want to cry. I started searching out things on the internet and then stopped because is was scaring me too much.

I will keep everyone updated on how his evaluation turns out and where we go from there. Prayers are always appreciated.

4 comments:

Conrad, Michelle, Bronwen & Ava Family said...

Hey beauty, I'm giving you a huge hug right now. If you need anything, let me know. By any chance, did they check his hearing too? Maybe that could fit some of the symptoms?

Jenni said...

Ok...tearing up here too! Not because I'm worried about Kellan, I just feel for you the Momma! Your family is always in my thoughts. always.

Molly said...

You know I am a firm believer in Mother's intuition. You will always know when something is not right. I am sure the speech therapy will do wonders for him. Hayden has alwasy been a little off and in his own world. I believe he is slightly on the autistic spectrum, maybe aspergers but my docs have never had him tested, even though I've asked. Hmm, same ped. wo ignored me about Zac... But anyway, Hayden is so smart and does so well in school, he just hasa few weird tendencies. Maybe it's the birthday!

Jeremy said...

I have recently learned how scary it can be to have to speculate on threats to our childrens well being, so my heart goes out to you guys. I personally know of 3 families who have gone through similar experiences and similar scares, and all are beyond it now, and doing fine. We all develop at different paces. Even if your fears materialize (and they won't), ground them in the quote from Jeremiah you have posted on your blog - the fact that you know for everything there is a purpose. And then google "autism college graduates". Arm yourself with knowledge and dispel any artifical fears so you can focus on the possibilities in even the worst case scenario. And before you know it, you'll long for the days when Kellan didn't talk so much :-)