May 13, 2009

I Steal Splenda

I do! I steal it.



I really hate for my kids to eat unnecessary amounts of sugar, and I have found that for myself it has been the key to my success in maintaining a 20 pound weight loss...and I am not just talking pregnancy weight gain. I am saying I weigh less than when I graduated from high school...which is why I LOOOOVE Splenda! Coffee with milk and Splenda? Yes please. Cereal with Splenda? I would love some. Muffins sweetened with Splenda? Absolutely!

Which is why every time I go get some tea or a latte I grab the usual for my drink and a couple more for my pocket (sorry Starbucks!) I justify this to myself because of the outrageous cost of a latte....plus there are a lot of people that don't take sweetener in their coffee at all, so it is a wash...right?

People like to tell me that studies show an increase risk of cancer when we use artificial sweeteners, but I have actually read those studies and they indicate that I would have to consume what amounts to a pound of Splenda a day...I think I am pretty safe with my 2-4 packets.

My favorite thing to make with Splenda is banana muffins. Mind you, these muffins do have sugar in them, but not the usual 1 to 1.5 cups you might find in any other recipe. I am really delighted with the way these turn out and I never feel bad about feeding them to my kids. This is my very own recipe, I hope you enjoy it!

Healthy Banana Muffins

2 very large or 3 smaller banana's mashed
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup smart balance light butter
1 egg
1/3 cup brown sugar or if you want it a little sweeter 1/2 cup
6 Splenda packets, or 4 if you are using a 1/2 cup of sugar.

Cream together butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl

Then add bananas to creamed mixture and combine

In another bowl mix dry ingredients

Incorporate the dry ingredients into the creamed ingredients in three parts until fully combined

Pour into a standard size muffin tin and bake at 350 for 17-20 minutes.



Voila! Healthy Banana Muffins

2 comments:

Molly said...

I have some bananas I need to use up, I think I'll make these tomorrow, they sound delish! You do look great, I wish I could do it. I use splenda as my sweetener for everything, unfortunately, I really like Pizza nad burgers and fries... Those are where my problems lie, can you help me with that?

BTW - Keep takin' em, no one will notice!

Annie Rivers-Dennis said...

mmmmmmmm :)